You are here:Home/Creating Letters in Adobe Illustrator
Create Letters Adobe Illustrator
This will be my first Adobe Illustrator tutorial and it will teach you how to create your own letters. Take note that we will be focusing on Sans-serif letters so it will be easier to design. I will also like to point out that each letter in the alphabet requires a different technique, like for example letters like W and R might be difficult compared to the other letters.
1. Start with a new canvas in Illustrator.
2. Create a square of at least 150 x 150 pixels, you can also increase it to 300 x 300 px if you want. Set the stroke of the square to at least 1pt and set the fill to none. You can also set the opacity to 50 percent or lower if you wish. This square will serve as a guide for each letter we will be making.
3. Let’s say we want to create our own custom letters for a logo named GO. We first start making the letter O. We will define “leg” as the main section or part of the letter which is the main part that will be duplicated plenty times, and make sure to have a backup copy or duplicate somewhere in the canvas. Create the leg and make it at least 150 pixels in height and 30 pixels width with a stroke of 1pt. Align the leg to the left part of the square to form the left side of the letter O.
4. Copy the left leg you just made and select paste. Select the new leg and click transform > rotate > 270 degrees. So now the leg will be horizontal, align it to the part of the letter O.
Left Top Leg
5. Copy the left leg you made and paste, align it to the right side of the letter O. Copy the left leg you just made and align it to the right side of the letter O. You now have a square for the letter O. Make sure that the top, left, right and bottom legs have the same dimensions in pixels with the guide. Copy and paste this side so you can use this for the letter G.
6. Last step is changing switching the stroke of the legs to fills. Select all legs Pathfinder > Shape Modes > Unite.
7. To make the letter G , we use the legs we copied in step 5. All we need to do is just select the right leg and scale it to 50 percent height. If the stroke value changes, make sure it will be 1px
8. And that’s it, you just made your own custom letters in Illustrator. There are other techniques I want to share but I’ll probably continue it with a part 2 of this tutorial.
Here are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)